Sr. MTS - C++ Host Agent - CPD Job
Date: Oct 7, 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA, US
|Posting Title||Sr. MTS - C++ Host Agent - CPD|
|About Us||VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. We enable people and organizations by radically simplifying IT through software virtualization with a focus on three core missions: End-User Computing (EUC), Hybrid Cloud and Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). Join our community – instigators of innovation and transformers of technology – as we envision and create what’s next in IT. Get connected to an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are passionately driven to make an impact while contributing back to the community. Learn more at vmware.com/careers today!|
|Why Work for Our Division||VMware’s world-class, award-winning RD team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the RD team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. RD team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has RD offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.|
|Job Description||VMware Inc. is seeking mid to senior level software engineers to help us deliver the next generation of our enterprise-class management software. If you love finding and creating solutions to complex problems, developing new feature-sets, and seek to have a deep and broad understanding of virtualization and distributed technology then the Continuing Product Development R&D org is the place for you.|
This is an opportunity to see how our customers actually use our enterprise-class virtualization and cloud management software products while delivering solutions and features via major, dot, and patch releases of our next generation cutting-edge technologies.
You must be able to actively contribute to design and architecture discussions and have a strong understanding of the software development process with an excellent track record in troubleshooting and diagnostics. Prior success in and enthusiasm for a fast-paced environment with aggressive development cycles is critical.
- Be part of the team delivering critical update releases, patches, feature enhancements and security updates to VMware customers and partners to make our products meet robustness required by any enterprise environments.
- Opportunity to work on complex software problems and providing solutions.
- Work closely with other R&D engineers, Customer Technical Support, QA, Program Mgmt, escalation and security office to work on releases that contribute towards enhancing the customer experience.
- Work on key customer reported issues and decide how to provide problem resolutions.
- Opportunity to conceptualize log and diagnostic tools and develop them.
- Opportunity to design and develop tools to help improve efficiency of problem resolution.
- Opportunity to contribute to design and architecture of serviceability features in next generation products
- Contribute to VMware’s knowledge base database.
- Develop a multi threaded host agent (hostd) software for ESX servers.
- Develop an abstraction layer for managing the virtualization platform on VMware ESX Server, Linux and Windows hosts.
- Design and develop open APIs for virtual infrastructure management and the core infrastructure for implementing these APIs.
- Provide technical leadership to a team of developers.
- Work with the platform and VirtualCenter teams to expose new platform features and deliver new virtual infrastructure management functionality.
- Work with QA engineers to ensure software testability, stability and quality.
- Work with the technical publications team to ensure high-quality documentation of the product and its APIs.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent from a reputable university.
- 5-10 years of industry experience in C++, multi-threaded, server-side programming.
- Strong object-oriented design and programming skills.
- Experience in building systems management and monitoring applications is highly desirable.
- Understanding of systems architecture and components such as networking and storage is highly desirable.
- Experience working with remote management technologies such as CORBA, JMX, and CIM is a plus.
- Proven ability to develop robust commercial-quality software, with a focus on reliability, supportability and performance.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with partners and customers as necessary.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
|Location||Palo Alto, CA, US|
|Is this a remote or multiple location position?||No|
|EEO Statement||VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment.|
|Note To Applicant: Please disable your pop-up blocker prior to clicking “Apply”|
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Job Segments: Engineer, Cloud, Product Development, Computer Science, Virtualization, Engineering, Technology, Research